A Year in Review

In case you're wondering where I've been... Well, I've been hard at work launching new websites (check out n2k.tv), blogging at The Next Great Generation, and planning a wedding on the side! But I've decided that's no excuse, so friends, I'm back.

I wanted to quickly comment on a few tech/social media/marketing things I've missed in my hiatus:
  1. iProducts: Since I got my iPhone about a year ago I've noticed a few subtle changes. One, I'm more social now than ever. A lot of people say that technology is cutting down on face-to-face social interaction, but for me that is not at all the case. With 24/7 access to social apps, I'm responding to things faster and making plans at an alarming rate. Another unexpected change is that I'm really enjoying mobile games. I've never been into video or computer games, but I LOVE me some World of Goo on the iPad. 
  2. Groupon: I started using Groupon and then unsubscribed when I let several of them expire. I'm not a coupon clipper - never have been. Maybe Groupon is the greatest thing since Google, but I'm just not as excited about it as I'm supposed to be. Also, their Superbowl commercial was terrible. 
  3. Julian Assange: I thought the whole Julian Assange / Wikileaks debacle was quite entertaining. For a while there, I was afraid something catastrophic would happen, but so far it seems we're alright. That being the case, I can't wait to see the movie.
  4. The Social Network: I am totally Team Zuck. He's awkward, geeky, irreverent, and fabulous. He's made a name for Gen Y, proving our potential before we ever expected to have our time to shine. I definitely think he deserved Time's Person of the Year. I loved the movie, even though it was a little harsh on Zucky. I'm also a big fan of Sheryl Sandberg, Facebook's COO. Check out her TED Talk, "Why We Have Too Few Women Leaders."
  5. The Superbowl: What a disappointment. Sure, there were a few ads that tickled my funny bone, but that just doesn't cut it for me. Where were the call to actions? Where was the social engagement? With the exception of Volkswagon's Vader spot launching the week before, which of these companies did anything out of the ordinary? The Superbowl is your chance to reach a massive, hyper-engaged audience, not to mention that you're paying out the wazoo for it, so why aren't you doing something to make it last beyond the 30-second spot? Come on people!
What am I missing? It's been a long time since my last post... Lots of ground to cover!

No comments: